Drop Off Service
Dates & Locations
May 4, 2019 | 9am-2pm
728 Goodenough Road, Fillmore
Please read the instructions below before submitting your “Request for Chipping”.
Please complete all of your work before submitting a request. Valuable chipping time and grant money is wasted responding to requests when the material is not ready. If your work is not complete when the chipper arrives it may be some time before it can return.
- Create defensible space by clearing brush 30′-100′ from buildings and 20′ from roads. Please refer to the CAL FIRE pamphlet (click here to download a copy) for further guidance on creating defensible space. We encourage participants in the program to have a residence on the property.
- Place brush piles so the chipping machine and crew can have access.The piles need to be adjacent to a driveway, road or street. Preferably pile brush on the uphill side. Do not place piles along busy, heavily traveled roadway, where signage or additional crew would be required by County or State Code for safety. Also, when placing the brush piles place it in an area that will be out of your way and in a location where there is access for the equipment to turn around. Refer to the picture for an example of the equipment.
Keep all piles free of rocks, dirt, wire, lumber, spiny plants and poison oak. The chipper cannot chip palm fronds, succulents, pine needles or leaves.
- Pile size limited to one ton. Pile dimensions no larger than 15′ by 15′ by 4′ high.
- Recently removed vegetation will chip better than old dried out branches and shrubs.
- It is easier and more efficient to chip the piles if they are wider and spread out rather than taller. All the cut ends need to be facing the same direction. Please follow the illustration below for additional instruction on preparing your piles.
- The chipper can handle material up to 7″ in diameter (no root balls). The equipment does not chip individual branches that are small (rakings) or old-decayed wood well.
- You will receive an email or phone call confirming the date and approximate time your pile will be chipped. However, please be aware that it may be necessary to reschedule your chipping date due to unforeseen circumstances. You will be notified by email or phone if that is the case.
- You do not have to be home the day you are scheduled for chipping. Please remember that this is a free service provided with grant funding administered by the Central Ventura County Fire Safe Council.